Saturday 19 October 2013

BHC THURSDAY CRAFT GROUP

The Fairy Tale Continues....
And will keep going on, as more and more new people from the local community find out about Building Healthy Communities and the Thursday Craft Group.
Imagine this - here I am, sitting at home for months and months, nothing to do, no confidence to go out, too shy and scared, scared of people and the outside.   Then by magic a leaflet came through the door.  Come along it said, come join in at the North West Resource Centre, meet new friends, and get new skills – “Really?” I thought.
After several panic attacks, I picked up the courage and went along.  I walked into the “lions’ den”, that’s what it felt like to me, all of these women sitting round a table.  I took a deep breath and entered the room of the Thursday craft group, shaking with nerves.   “Hello” they said, they spoke to me - after all, I thought I was different, quietly I said “hello” back.   “Hello” another voice said “I’m Krys nice to meet you”, and introduced me to the rest of the group.  Really, were they speaking to me? Was I not weird and different?  No I was not and the group treated me like a normal person - I was shocked to say the least.
“We are doing tea bag folding today, come and join in.”  Tea bag folding I thought, I imagined we would be folding with Tetley or Brooke Bond teabags, I did not have a clue and thought they were weird.   It was paper folding, what a fool I thought.   I was shown how to make a lovely flower.  These ladies talked me through everything; they treated me like one of their own.    I went home so excited that I had made something.  I showed everyone what I had made and was so excited about going back.   As time went on I no longer felt like Cinderella in the never, never land.  My confidence grew, my shyness slowly went away.
Each week they showed me something different to make, these woman were sharing their skills with me.  They treated me like a normal human being – because I now realise, I am normal.  My confidence is growing from week to week.  All these woman are just like I am.  I have even started, making friends.

Thank you BHC for doing all this for me and everyone else who attends.  To all the people who have not found you yet come along and start to enjoy life.  So while BHC and these wonderful people continue to help others, like myself, this fairy tale will be never ending.  The happiness will continue on to help more and more people with problems, and help them better themselves as it has done to many before them.


…..to be continued ...................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.